Site Seeing in Rameswaram
Important places to see in Rameswaram
1. TheRamanathswamy Temple stands on top of the list because Lord Rama had supposedly offered his thanks to Lord Shiva here at this spot after his victory over Ravana. Not only is the temple one of the holiest places for the Hindus, it is also a fine example of Dravidian temple architecture at its best. It is of immense proportions and its corridor is the largest temple corridor in India. The 22 wells within the temple complex are its main attraction.
2. Beyond the main entrance of the temple, the waters at Agneetheertham are considered very sacred as it was here that Rama took a dip to cleanse himself of the sin of slaying Ravana. Even today pilgrims take a dip in the holy waters to wash away their sins.
3. TheKothandaraswamy Temple situated around12 km form town is dedicated to Rama, Sita, Lakshmana, Hanuman and Vibhishan.
4. Dhanushkodi is situated on the eastern end of the island and is so named because it resembles the bow of Rama. The chain of reefs and small islets in the sea between India and Sri Lanka is collectively known as Adam’s bridge. Legend has it that it was here that Hanumana and his army laid out boulders to reach Lanka.
5. Erwadi is a significant Muslim pilgrimage spot for the tomb of the saint Ibrahim SahidAuliya and every December, Muslim pilgrims make a beeline for the annual festival held here to pay tribute to this saint.
Other main site seeing rameswaram would include the KurusadiIsalnds, the Kothadaramar temple and Mt. Gandhamadhdhanam housing the imprint of Rama’s feet.